Stepping foot into a gym can be a daunting feeling, especially if you’ve never been a gym before or you’re changing to a new one. I still get anxious when I’m traveling and have to train at different gyms so I know first hand what it’s like. New trainers, a different layout, strange equipment you may never have seen before…the list goes on. It’s perfectly normal to feel anxious in a new environment and I’m here to tell you you’re not alone. To help overcome these feelings I’ve devised a list of the best methods I’ve found to overcome the issue.
- If it’s your first time signing up to a gym more often than not a trainer will offer you a free session or a tour of the gym. If they don’t, make sure to ask them for a tour and if they can write you up a 7 day gym plan to get you started.
- Plan your workout before you hit the gym. If you’re not too sure on how to write out your own plan or are looking for some guidance it might be worthwhile paying someone to write you a plan based on your individual goals.
- If you’re new to the gym it’s not a bad idea to take a few personal training sessions to get you acquainted with the equipment so that you don’t feel overwhelmed and unsure of how it works and what muscle(s) it targets.
- If you get anxious about the idea of the gym being crowded or people watching you workout there are loads of 24 hour gyms that allow you to go before or after hours when it’s a lot more quiet and you can workout in peace.
- Bring a friend. A workout buddy not only encourages you to go (even when you would rather sit in bed eating Ben and Jerrys), but they also encourage you to work and lift heavier and harder.
- Personally, nothing makes me feel more confident in the gym than a new gym outfit. Dress in whatever makes you feel comfortable and confident and if that means putting on a little makeup than go for it! As long as you’re putting in the hard work it doesn’t matter what you look like.
- Lastly, create a music playlist of your favourite tunes and turn them up LOUD. If you’re so focused on singing along to ‘eye of the tiger‘ whilst you pump out those last few squats feeling on top of the world, you won’t even notice anyone around you.
- Most importantly, remind yourself that everyone is there for the same reason: to get fit. Most of the time everyone else will be so focused on their own workout that they won’t even notice you’re there.
Now get out and workout! If you have any other helpful hints and tips comment below 🙂