If you love peanut butter as much as I do, you will most likely love peanut butter cups. Unfortunately peanut butter cups aren’t exactly the healthiest chocolate, so here is a recipe for some delicious vegan friendly, gluten free peanut butter cups without the guilt! Please remember that this doesn’t mean you can eat a whole batch in one sitting, however they are a slightly healthier alternative to your regular Reese’s peanut butter cups and are great for the occasional treat.
Recipe makes approx. 16 peanut butter cups.
You will need…
- 400g Dairy free chocolate (this is available in the health food section or from health stores, you can also purchase most dark chocolates just check the labels).
- 3 Tablespoons Organic Coconut Oil
- 1 cup organic natural peanut butter (also available in the health food section NOT kraft)
1. Line a cupcake tray with cup cake cases
2. Measure out half of the coconut oil into microwave proof bowl and microwave for approx. 20 sec onds or until the oil has melted. Mix the melted coconut oil into your peanut butter. If you find the mixture is very runny place in the fridge for 10-15 minutes. You don’t want the mixture to be solid but firm enough to keep its shape.
3. Combine the chocolate (here I am using dark chocolate) with the remaining coconut oil in a saucepan. Over a low heat stir until the
chocolate has melted.
4. Once the chocolate is melted spoon a thin layer into the cupcake cases.
5. Place in the freezer for 5 minutes until the chocolate has set.
6. Next, spoon a small spoonful of the peanut butter mixture into the centre of each cup and flatten slightly with a spoon.
7. With the remaining melted chocolate pour over the top of the peanut butter covering completely.
8. Place in the freezer for another 5 minutes or until the chocolate has set.
You can make variations of this recipe by changing the chocolate type or by using small cup cake cases to make mini peanut butter cups – perfect for tea parties!